Strip size is another important step in building your custom strip door. Using the correct strip for your door will increase the door's effectiveness for your application.
PVC strip size has 2 aspects: strip width and thickness. Each of these are equally important to finding the perfect strip for your needs.
Strip doors can be purchased in a variety of different ways. You can purchase our complete strip door kits (which include pre-cut strips and hardware), or you can purchase each piece separately. This would be either strip bulk rolls or pre-cut strips and the hardware of your choice.
Take a look at our Strip Door Size Guide below to determine what size strip is right for you.
|Strip Width||Traffic Level||How to Buy||Applications|
|4"||Personnel||Rolls, Replacement Strips, Hardware||Light, interior pedestrian traffic through small openings or doorways|
|6"||Personnel/Light Traffic||Rolls, Replacement Strips, Hardware||Pedestrian and light hand truck interior traffic|
|8"||Light Industrial Traffic||Strip Door Kits, Rolls, Replacement Strips, Hardware||Most versatile strip width for interior and light-wind exterior applications|
|12"||Medium/Heavy Industrial Traffic||Strip Door Kits, Rolls, Replacement Strips, Hardware||Forklift and other machinery traffic both indoors and outdoors|
|16"||Heavy Industrial Traffic||Strip Door Kits, Rolls, Replacement Strips, Hardware||Extra large doorways with heavy machinery, non-pedestrian traffic|
*Tip: For heavier traffic strip doors, choose a Ribbed material over a Smooth material.
The strip thickness is also an important part of picking a strip for your PVC strip door. Consider what will be going through the door when choosing a strip thickness.
- .060" - This light traffic strip is most commonly used for personnel openings and walk-in coolers.
- .080" - Designed for pedestrian and light industrial traffic, this strip is best used on small to mid-sized openings.
- .120" - This heavy-duty strip is used for industrial traffic on interior and exterior doors.
- .160" - This is the heaviest PVC strip, making it great for heavy industrial traffic and exterior doors that experience strong winds.
*Note: Please keep in mind that different strip materials and widths may limit your choices for strip thickness.
How to Choose the Right Strip Size
Still not sure what size strip is right for you? These examples showcase some of the most popular strip door applications.
- Loading Dock - This large exterior door needs wide, dense strips to keep the elements outside. With lots of wind, no pedestrian traffic, and heavy forklift and industrial vehicle traffic, the best strip will be a Standard Ribbed Strip that is 16" wide with a .160" thickness.
- Walk-In Freezer - This interior opening needs to withstand very low temperatures while still keeping the freezer easily accessible. With mostly foot traffic and the occasional cart, the best strip will be a Low Temp Smooth Strip that is 6" wide with a .060" thickness.
- Data Center - In this application, it is important to consider the effect of static shock on sensitive electronics. Needing to reduce the static buildup when passing through the strip door, the best choice will be an Anti-Static Smooth Strip that is 8" wide with a .080" thickness.
- Warehouse - These openings attract a large number of insects and it's essential to keep them at bay. With lots of traffic (especially in warm climates where bugs are more prevalent), the best strip will be an Insect Control Ribbed Strip that is 12" wide with a .120" thickness.